Review: Physicians Formula Organic Wear Fakeout Mascara

Saturday, April 20, 2013

The other week at CVS, there was a great sale on Physicans Formula products in addition to $3 off $12 cosmetics coupon so I of course had to take advantage of it. One of the things that I purchased was the Physicians Formula Organic Wear Fakeout Mascara, which is very recognizable due to its large magenta leaf shaped tube.



 I had heard some youtubers rave about this mascara so I wanted to give it a try. It retails for $9.99 at CVS but with the sale, $6 off + coupon, I got it for less than $4.
The packaging is indeed very pretty and you won't have a problem finding it if you have a hodgepodge of a million makeup products in your bag.

The brush is rubbery, large, and has many bristles. I'm not sure what the purpose of that little "baldspot" on the brush is though..

And now for the review of its performance, after using it 5+ times...
With and without flash. 
So, I think these pictures speak for themselves. As you can tell, I have very short and sparse lashes, or as some people call it, typical "Asian lashes". And overall, the mascara pretty much did not enhance my lashes at all. I was going to include a before mascara application picture, but this  mascara literally changed nothing about my natural lashes besides slightly darken them.

Some notes about these pictures: I did curl my eyelashes, and these pictures were taken at the end of the day.

These are my usual criteria when judging a mascara:

Ability to hold a curl: As you can see in my pictures, this mascara absolutely does not hold a curl! It literally uncurled my lashes in about  a minute. Quite disappointed in that.

Volume+Length: Again, very little volume. It might be my imagination, but there might have been a tiny bit of lengthening.

Degree of Clumpage: One of the positives of this mascara is that at least it did not clump my lashes.

Lift: Again, as the picture indicates, this mascara failed to lift my lashes at all.

Degree of Smudging and Flaking: While this mascara is non waterproof, I did wear it on many rainy days when my umbrella did not completely shield me and the mascara stayed pretty smudge proof. There was a little bit of flaking but I have a habit of using my finger to clean off the corners of my eyes about every half an hour. Overall, it was decently smudgeproof (but not super flake-proof), especially on a rainy day.

Ease of removal: Another positive about this mascara: very easy to remove with just my normal face cleanser since it's not waterproof.

Affordability: For the price of $9.99 retail (drugstores, a bit less at Walmart or Target), this mascara is on the pricier end of drugstore cosmetics. Other mascaras from other drugstore brand usually retail for less.

Another thing to note about this mascara is that it is supposedly "organic" and contain less harsher ingredients than normal mascara. I'm not completely educated about the extent of these claims (because so many 'organic' or 'better for you' ingredients aren't always that great for you.. but that's another story) so if you know anything about this aspect, feel free to chime in.

Overall, I am extremely disappointed with this mascara. Luckily, drugstores in America have an amazing return policy, so I am most definitely returning this mascara!

I think this mascara is suitable for people who already have luscious, full, lengthy, curly lashes (so jealous!) and want a natural darkened look.

In addition, here are some mascaras that I do love!
1. Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara: This is what I use on "no curl" days--days when I am super lazy about curling my eyelashes, which is most days. This mascara doesn't hold a curl, HOWEVER, it seriously lifts, volumize, and lengthens my lashes plus it's easy to remove. Also, it's extremely affordable--around or below $4 at Walgreens!

2.Covergirl Lashblast: I've mentioned this mascara before and how much I love it. It's very good at holding curls, provides incredible volume, and lengthens. However, it does take quite an effort to remove it at the end of the day.

I hope this review was helpful if you were thinking about purchasing this mascara! What are your current favorite mascaras?

Also, thanks so much to the lovely mDawn for nominating for the Liebster Award, a kind of "tag" thing among newer blogs ^_^. I will be updating with that next!

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend and thank you so much for all your comments <3





16 comments:

  1. Hey Mei,

    Sorry to hear that this didn't work out for you! When I want fuller and longer looking lashes I use the d.j.v. beautenizer Fiberwig from Sephora. This is my holy grail mascara. It's a bit pricy ($22) but I think it's well worth it because it does wonders to my lashes.

    Looking forward to read your Liebster Award post!

    Dawn @ Pursiko.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have the fiberwig too! But it doesn't work well on my lashes >< I'm glad it works for you! :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh our darn Asian lashes :c What
    a bummer about this mascara, but
    I guess it gives a nice subtle
    look with non dramatic lashes!
    The mascara looks like a dagger :P

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's so hard to find good mascaras for our lashes :(

      Delete
  3. Hi Mei! Yaa the elizabeth arden box samples aren't bad but i just tried the cream foundation that was a part of the kit and... it was super cakey.. so probably wont buy it.

    Sigh, asian lashes :( I get that too with some mascaras. Thanks for the review!! I always hear those YouTube beauty gurus saying how good the physians forumla is but I get it's not really asian approved :P

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that is disappointing to hear.. it's a high end brand too.
      I first heard about this mascara on YT and that's why I got it n the first place.. so sad that it doesn't work as well with our lashes ><

      Delete
  4. This was super thorough and informative! It's always hard finding mascaras that are really good. I'm totally in the same boat as you with the lashes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, it's super hard to find the perfect mascara *dreamy sigh*

      Delete
  5. A lot of information, thanks for share it :)!!
    -Visit My blog urbanfashionstylee.blogspot.mx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks for your review + extra information!
    The mascara doesn´t make a big effect on you eyelashes! So bad...
    But your review is gorgeus sweetie!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always find mascara is mascara, never really makes a big impact on my lashes. Great post ! xx

    www.itslilylocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I'm slightly overwhelmed by the amount of mascaras that I have at home -- its impossible to choose so I keep switching. I think I will try out this one out too :)

    ♡ Come check out my new blog ! ♡ Spicy Bananaz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!

    http://tickledpink.alphie-eve.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, great post love :)

    Please check out my blog?

    http://terriface01.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!

    xx

    http://unromanceconlamoda.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete