Urban Decay Vegan Palette Review

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Today I'll be reviewing the contents in Urban Decay Vegan Palette. This palette was on sale at the UD website for ~$20 shipped (originally $34+ shipping) and after contemplating for about half an hour, I succumbed to temptation and clicked the "confirm order" button.

The Vegan Palette is my second palette (the other is the Stila Hollywood palette) from a high end brand. All the other eyeshadows I own are from drugstores, which I've been very satisfied with.

I've been drooling over the UD Naked palette for the longest time, especially after trying out my friend's. However, to me, $50 is a lot of money for one makeup item, even if you're getting 12 amazing colors.

I ultimately decided to get the Vegan palette because there were 3 colors from the Naked palette and it also came with a sample of UDPP and the 24/7 glide on pencil. In addition, the other colors looked gorgeous in the pictures so I decided to treat myself (I am very cheap so $20 on one makeup item is indeed a splurge for me).

And a few days later... it arrived in the mail!

Note: While the actual Vegan palette is sold out on the UD website, the contents in the palette are not unique. Therefore, this review is more about the individual colors and items that came with this palette.

My first impression was that the palette is very sturdy. I don't care much for the cover design but I think it would be safe to carry while travelling without having to worry about breakage.
The colors look so pretty in the pan! The bottom 3 colors--Twice Baked, Smog, and Half Baked--were definitely love at first sight. Smog, Gunmetal, and Half Baked are the colors that are also in the Naked Palette. The top row would be more for special occasions since I'm not the most colorful person but it never hurts to have many different colors of eyeshadow!



Review of Eyeshadows: 


Here's a swatch of the colors, without primer. I tried to get a picture of a swatch with primer but my camera was just not cooperating.



Pigmentation and Texture: The bottom three colors definitely has amazing pigmentation and the texture is just so buttery and smooth! It's also very easy to blend and I know I will be using those colors on a daily basis. Gunmetal, one of the colors from the Naked palette, was also nicely pigmented but it the texture was a bit less smooth than the bottom three colors. Minx and Urb disappointed me though. The pigmentation is not nearly as vivid as the other 4 colors and the texture is a tiny bit chalky and almost gritty from the glitter. Also, Minx, as seen in the swatch picture, shows up more light blue than teal, which was also a bit disappointing.

Staying Power:
Here are some looks I did with the bottom 3 colors and Gunmetal, the UDPP sample, and the 24/7 glide on pencil. To test staying power, I also took a picture at the end of the day (about 8 hours after initial application of the first look).


8 Hours later...
I apologize for the yellowness of this picture! It was night time so it was extremely hard to get good lighting. This is just to show the staying power of the eyemakeup.


 I have only worn Gunmetal, Twice Baked, Smog, and Half Baked on my eyes so far. They stay on all day on my eyelids and does not crease or fade (I usually don't have a problem with eyeshadow creasing).  I know in the "after 8 hours" picture the eyeshadow on my lids is hard to see but that is just the terrible lighting.

 To  my disappointment, these eyeshadows smudge and smear terribly when applied on the lower lashline. My eyes are very watery and usually the only thing that can stay on my lower lashline are gel liners (not pencil). I was really hoping that I would be able to use Smog and Gunmetal on my lower lashline in place of eyeliner since it create a softer look but they do not stay in place and start smearing after a few hours.

Overall: I am pretty satisfied with the eyeshadows in this palette. I know I will be using at least the bottom row very often. My favorite color is Half Baked because it's just such a gorgeous subtle gold color and the texture is lovely to work with. I probably won't be using Minx and Urb very often, but I'm glad to have these colors in my collection as they are gorgeous colors, though I wish they were a bit more pigmented. The one thing I wish they added to this palette was a highlighting color. While Half Baked is a beautiful inner corner highlighting color, it cannot be used to highlight the brow bone.

Review of UDPP (Urban Decay Primer Potion) in Sin
I have used the original UDPP before and I loved it. However, I never repurchased it since it's pricey and ELF makes one that works well enough for me.

Sin is a darker and more shimmery primer than the original.

 This picture is a failed attempt at photographing a swatch of the eyeshadows with UDPP Sin but you can tell that it's extremely shimmery.


UDPP Sin would be great base to enhance shimmery shadows but if you like the matte look, I would just stick with the original.

Review of Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Pencil In Zero
Now I have heard a lot about this eyeliner pencil and I was excited to finally try it. I have also heard that the Milani Liquidf'eye pencils, which I have used many times, are pretty much a dupe for this so I'll be making some comparisons.

Pros: This eyeliner really glides on! It's extremely creamy and it doesn't tug on my eyelid. Compared to the Milani pencil, 24/7 is much easier to use because of this creamier texture.

Cons: I  was pretty disappointed by the color of Zero. I'm very use to the extreme black of Milani, but the 24/7 is more of a dull gray-black color. I suppose Zero is described as a "zealous black color" according to the UD website (whatever that means...) and they have a blacker shade called Perversion but I'm just not in love with the color. Another major disappointment was... the staying power. I applied it on both my upper and lower lashline (with primer and eyeshadow) and by the end of the day (as pictured) my eyeliner was smudged, faded, AND transferred(this happened on another day and is not visible in the "8 hours later" picture). The name of this is "24/7 Glide On"... I would say it's more like 3 hours.  The Milani Liquidf'eye definitely has much better staying power.

Overall Thoughts
I'm glad that I picked up this palette on sale. Though I absolutely adore Half Baked, Smog, and Twice Baked, I definitely would not have  purchased it at full price. While the shades that I just mentioned are definitely higher quality in terms of texture and pigmentation than the drugstore eyeshadows I own, I'm not certain if that justifies the price. However, if I can one day afford it, I would definitely pick up more UD shadows , especially the Naked Palette.

The 24/7 Glide On Pencil was a huge disappointment and being priced at $19, I rather just stick to Milani Liquidf'eye for a black pencil liner. I do enjoy the UDPP in Sin, but again, I would not purchase it at full price. Overall, I don't regret purchasing the Vegan Palette and I will definitely make lots of good uses out of it.

That concludes my first ever review! Please let me know (nicely)  via comment or email if you have any suggestions to improve or any requests. Thank you for reading!

FTC: All products were purchased with my own money and all opinions are my own!

1 comment:

  1. The colors look so pretty!! I'm dying for a naked palette too though :( so expensive :( Should have another box exchange soon ;)

    ReplyDelete