Adventures in Food: 8-8-12

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Almost every morning, I eat eggs for breakfast. If I don't eat eggs for breakfast, then I'll eat it for lunch. They are just so incredibly delicious (and cheap and nutritious too). I like mine over easy--the yolk still runny but the whites all cooked. However, this morning I didn't feel like getting out the pan and oil and frying an egg. So I decided to take a risk.... and poach my eggs instead. I have never poached an egg, but I had always wanted to try it. It's a simple concept, but it's much harder than it seems.

Many of the recipes called for vinegar.. but I don't want my eggs tasting sour. So.. I just decided to straight up pour it into the simmering water. And here's how they turned out..


Hm, definitely was not very successful. The clump of eggwhites is part of the side egg whites that fell off (if that makes any sense at all). The egg on the left was alright but a little under cooked in the whites and the other egg was just completely overcooked >.<. I will definitely be practicing more and I'll share any tips once I've perfected the poach egg.

Later tonight, I went to my friend's house with one of my roommates and we ended up making very random dishes.
First, was gazpacho, which is basically just tomato, cucumber, pepper, garlic, and whatever else you want pureed into a "soup". Then you add vinegar and olive oil. It's super refreshing for the summer, very healthy, and extremely extremely easy to make. It's definitely one of my favorite dishes, especially since I am an avid tomato lover. I also like to put something crunchy in it--croutons, crushed chips, crushed crackers, etc.
Next we made apple crisp and oven fried chicken. And it turned out suuuper yummy! Apple crisp is probably one of the easiest deserts to make.

We didn't have any ice cream but instead had chocolate ice cream .. er, bars (?) so we put that on top of the apple crisp instead. Super super delicious!

Last but not least, here's the oven fried chicken. Basically we just dipped chicken in flour, then in egg wash, and then in bread crumbs. I usually don't like chicken because it gets so dry easily. But baking it really keeps all the juices and moisture in, so it turned out to be suuper tender and moist. Yummy!

I feel so blessed to be able to hang out with friends and make delicious food together! There will be more to come in the future for sure :)

2 comments:

  1. Food looks so yummy! We should cook together more often :)

    ReplyDelete